Why does happiness matter at work?
Your happiness matters in the workplace because it impacts productivity, engagement, retention and personal health. Employees typically work anywhere between 35 to 45 or more hours a week. They spend more time at the office than anywhere else.
More people are searching for work-life balance and the best employers will provide an environment that encourages this balance. Organizations that provide flexible work arrangements and other benefits prove to have the most satisfied employees, higher retention rates, and a positive company culture.
Additional benefits that contribute to employee satisfaction include:
- Financial benefits: bonuses, performance increases, health insurance
- Employee support programs: counseling support program, health fitness membership subsidies, etc.
- Professional development opportunities: continuing education, training, attending conferences, coaching/mentorship programs, promotional track etc.
- Other: maternity, sick and compassionate leave; harassment policies/protection; support
More companies are listening to their employees and understand the importance of creating a positive workplace. It is smart business because happy employees are reported to be:
- 25% to 35% more productive
- 40% more likely to receive a promotion
- 20% less likely to be absent
Job seekers who prioritize what makes them happy in the workplace will be better equipped to find a job that best suits them. Employers who provide a culture that supports the well-being of their staff will find that they will retain the best employees and sustain a healthy work culture. It is a win-win for all!